Recoverable Damages in Wrongful Termination

Related Posts
  • Did the FTC Just Ban Non-Compete Agreements? (Part 2) Read More
  • I Was Just Placed on a PIP–What Can I Do? Read More
  • A Termination Broadcast on TikTok Reveals Failures All Around Read More

When taking legal action against a former employer in a wrongful termination suit, the monetary award you receive are often referred to as “damages.” It’s important to note, however, that these types of cases typically do not result in huge lump sums of cash – the main purpose of these damages is to make the plaintiff whole. In this blog, our Chicago employment lawyer discusses the damages you can be awarded in a wrongful termination case.

Lost Pay

Perhaps the most obvious damage to be recovered in these types of cases is lost pay. Are there earnings you’ve missed out on due to your termination? Damages for lost pay cover the wages you would’ve received had your employer not fired you, and may include other compensation that has been withheld. If you are hired elsewhere, your damages are reduced by the amount you’ve earned since being terminated.

Lost Benefits

After being fired from a job, you also lose the benefits the come with being an employee. These benefits can include medical and dental insurance, retirement of 401k plans, stock options, and profit-sharing. Quantifying lost benefits can be difficult, which is why you want to ensure you have an expert on your side who can accurately calculate what you are owed.

Punitive Damages

Most of the damages awarded in these types of cases aim to reimburse you for what you’ve lost, but punitive damages are used to punish the employer. If you were wrongfully terminated by an employer whose acts were particularly flagrant and offensive, you may be able to seek punitive damages.

If you’ve been wrongfully terminated, it’s imperative that you secure the representation you need from The Prinz Law Firm. Our Chicago employment lawyers have experience advocating for hard-working individuals and can guide you through the legal aspects of your case.

Contact our firm today at (312) 212-4450 to request a free consultation.