REPORTS TO: Managing Partner and Staff Attorneys.
STATUS: Part-time, approx. 10–15 hours/week (open to negotiation) during the 2022 fall term (and perhaps beyond).
COMPENSATION: Dependent on experience
SCHEDULE: To Be Determined
LOCATION: 1 E. Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL 60601
The Prinz Law Firm is a woman-owned boutique legal practice focusing on employment and business law. Unlike typical firms in our field, we serve both employees and employers, and we do so through fierce, transparent, and compassionate representation. Our work is varied and can include litigating non-compete agreements, negotiating executive severance packages, combatting discrimination, and training businesses to form positive workplace cultures. In all we do, our experienced attorneys and staff take pride in cultivating client relationships marked by trust, professionalism, creativity, and flexibility.
After client support, nothing matters more to us than our firm culture. Our small practice is marked by a highly collaborative team that leans on one another to accomplish big projects and overcome tough challenges. And no matter one’s position or role, we value one another as co-workers and make mutual respect and good humor hallmarks of our day-to-day interactions.
As a fast-paced, growing law firm focusing our practice on employment law, we are seeking a reliable, organized, detail-oriented law clerk to assist attorneys and office staff with legal and office support. The position of law clerk is for a student currently enrolled in law school and has a broad range of duties, including conducting legal research, preparing memos, drafting legal documents (such as demand letters, complaints, and motions), verifying citations, and assisting attorneys and office staff with legal and office support.
- Conducts initial research of case law and statutes
- Drafts memoranda regarding legal research
- Drafts initial discovery requests and responses
- Reviews and indexes discovery documents
- Assists with drafting initial complaints and answers to complaints
- Assists with drafting and responding to motions
- Ensures that documentation and billing practices are consistent with firm guidelines and policy and procedure
- Maintains client and firm confidentiality at all times
- Utilizes creative skills in solving employee and program challenges
- Attends and actively participates in weekly team meeting
- Performs general administrative tasks
- Other responsibilities and projects as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Willingness to work cooperatively with others in pursuit of organizational goals and objectives
- Focused on delivering high-quality work product
- Initiative and self-monitoring required
- Demonstrates professionalism in conduct and manner as a representative of the firm
Position offers flexible hours during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Our preference is for two or three set blocks of time during the week.
Draft a 300–500-word response to one of the following:
- What are 3 values of our firm that attract you and why?
- Have you ever misjudged someone? How and why did you misjudge them? How did the experience change you?
- Who is the best teacher you have ever had and why?
- What historical person do you most admire? What about his/her life inspires you?
- What skills do you have that have helped you most in life?
Submit résumé, cover letter, and writing sample to email@example.com with subject line “Law Clerk.”