Many times clients complain that their termination came out of left field; however, most of the time they just missed the signs. If you know the signs to look for, you can often address any issues before termination, or at least begin your job search and be better prepared if you are terminated.
Here are some signs to look out for:
1. You have to train another employee on your job
2. Major projects are put on hold
3. Your assignments are taken away from you
4. You’ve been given an impossible task to complete with little chance of success
5. Your boss suddenly starts nitpicking on your work, when you’ve always been
a top performer
6. You are left out of important meetings
7. Your relationship with your boss has suddenly changed
8. You’ve been issued a written warning or put on a performance improvement
So what should you do if you believe you are going to being fired?
It’s always advisable to speak to an employment attorney who can determine if you have any legal protections.
Sometimes you can proactively address the issue and protect your job. Other times, the situation may not be salvageable, but you will at least be able to begin your job search while you are still employed.